Rocky Hill Historical Society
June 2, 2012 Grand Opening
Dividend Ponds Trails and Archaeological District
Dividend Pond Trails officially became a town park at its Grand Opening on Connecticut Trails Day, June 2, 2012. June Cooke’s great grandchildren cut the ribbon.
June's first blaze. Go find it!
2006 - Dividend Open Space Becomes a State Archaeological Preserve
After four years of research by June Cooke of the Rocky Hill Historical Society, and review by the State Historic Preservation Office, Dividend was designated as a State Archaeological Preserve and named Dividend Brook Industrial Archaeological District. It is listed on the State Historic Register.
1667–1900s Water Power at Dividend
From 1667 to the early 1900s Rocky Hill’s water-powered industrial park
flourished, producing shears, chisels, hoes, toys, chandeliers, horseshoes, lumber and more. Within this park you will find 10 archaeological sites
4 dams and two mill ponds.
Click to View
2002 - Three archaeological digs were conducted at the former Butler-Sugden Shear Factory by Rocky Hill resident and RHHS member June Cooke (right) and the Friends of the Office of the State Archaeology. June researched from 2002-2006, then wrote Dividend, Rocky Hill's First Industrial Complex.
June Cooke 1932-2015
2011-2012 Volunteers clean Dividend Open Space
Beginning in 2011, Rocky Hill volunteers, Boy Scouts , Girl Scouts led by RHHS members spent hundreds of hours clearing trash, brush and debris to prepare for a park.
1973 - Town Takes Ownership of Dividend Open Space
The town of Rocky Hill obtained the Dividend land from Bigelow-Sanford Inc. for $1 and consideration of Rocky Hill paying the taxes that Bigelow Sanford owed to the town.
June moved to Arizona and was not present for the Grand Opening of Dividend. She never saw the finished park, but her grandchildren cut the ribbon. Nice! Thanks June.
2004 - Residents Vote to Save Dividend as Open Space
In response to an attempt by the town to sell Dividend Open Space,
Rocky Hill residents lobbied, voted and overwhelmingly passed a town referendum, which set aside these 68 acres as open space in perpetuity.
Now go take a hike!
Academy Hall Museum 785 Old Main Street Rocky Hill, CT 06067
snail mail: P.O. Box 185
Nonprofit 501 (C) (3)
History of a River Town and its People
phone: (860) 563-6704